Branding Strategy Insider helps marketing oriented leaders and professionals like you build strong brands. BSI readers know, we regularly answer questions from marketers everywhere. Today we hear from Lawrence a brand manager from Dallas, Texas who has this question about crafting brand stories.
We are about to embark on an internal effort to shape a brand story that will help give us a competitive advantage. What guidance can you offer?
Thanks for your question Lawrence. We live in a world filled with stories. But that doesn’t mean for one moment that simply telling a story will make you a fascinating brand. Stories aren’t defined by the teller. In the end, their success is decided by the listener and the watcher. To that end, take some time to put the following down on paper, they will give you and your team a starting point for thinking through the right storyline for your brand.
1. Describe your primary audiences for brand communications both internally and externally. Who are they and why do they care about your brand?
2. Describe your primary audience core motivations, attribute description, and key attitudes and behaviors.
3. Describe the key challenges currently facing your organization’s ability to develop, manage and monitor the effectiveness of your brand communication initiatives.
4. Describe the desired mental associations you believe these audiences currently have when they think about:
– the brand identity (who the brand is)
– the brand utility ( what the brand promises / provides audiences that is unique
and different from competitors)
– the brand delivery (tone and manner of the brand’s expression)
5. Describe the desired audience associations you want audiences to have in their minds when thinking about your brand identity, utility and delivery.
6. What are the core truths about your brand story? (purpose, values, beliefs)
7. Who are the brand’s primary competitors?
8. In your opinion, what is the value proposition of the brand’s primary competitors?
9. What stories are your competitor’s communicating to the market?
10. What are the primary brand communications touch points and various media channels that customers/users are exposed to when engaging with your brand?
Do you have a branding question? Just Ask The Blake Project