arrow7 Comments
  1. Pam Findley
    Jun 13 - 7:41 pm

The Song Brand was cutting edge and expert……some say a better product than the ‘mother ship’ Delta. But at what operating cost? This week’s Wall Street Journal states that the average commercial full flight profits only approx. $169….wow! The Brand has become secondary to the bottom line of profitability and survival……..

2. RossanaRocchini
    Jun 18 - 9:14 am

This was a very interesting read. I never knew Song was designed around women’s needs.

3. John Selvaggio
    Jun 19 - 11:06 am

Thanks for your comments, Pam. Many people agree with your observations and conclusions. Airline profit margins are razor-thin.

However, creation of a great new brand is primary to the bottom line of profitability and survival. That was certainly the driver of Song’s creation. Delta, as every other airline in the post-911 time period, was quite concerned about the looming possibility of bankruptcy, and needed to expend maximum effort to turn the company around. Song had to get off the ground very quickly, and attract a substantial number of customers to its new product in record time.

And that it did. Due to its impressive success at start-up, it quickly grew beyond its initial planned size of 25 aircraft to 48 in its second year. Although it turned out to be too little, too late, the primary objective of the brand was to improve the profitability and survival chances of the corporate enterprise – Delta Air Lines.

4. Barbara
    Jun 19 - 1:20 pm

With it being six years later and that much more distance between 9-11 and now, could the brand be resurrected? Is the timing better now for it to succeed? I would think the idea of this type of airline is still good; the need for it more important than before as consumers are shifting to a “what’s in it for me” mode versus indulging in luxury products.

5. Sylvester Pittman
    Jun 20 - 6:30 pm

Excellent post John! As a former Song “Star” I 100% agree with your post. Why so many airlines don’t see the need for true differentiation is beyond me. IMHO Song was one of the best things to happen to Delta. Many of the amenities, work rules, and even designer uniforms originated in the little brand that could. Six years down the road we’re still discussing Song. We obviously did something right! Too little, too late? Likely. However Song has left an indelible mark on me. Long live the spirit of Song!

6. Beckey Myers
    Jun 20 - 8:42 pm

I was part of the legacy carrier but while I worked for Song I identified with the Song culture. I was behinds the sceens working with the Song flight attendants, who were the faces of Song we saw daily. It was an experience that I will never forget, to this daily I proudly identify myself as a former Song scheduler. It was like nothing the airline indusry had seen before. I get peolpe, who work at other airlines, asking how we made it work so well, they are former Song stars. I tell them that “my flight attendants” were my people and I made a point to get to know them.
    John, thank you for allowing me to be part of something great. even during hurricane season, it was still the best part of my time with Delta.

7. Joey Guarisco
    May 28 - 6:26 am

While in the beginning i was part of the first wave of Song stars at JFK, i wondered if i made the right move leaving Delta to become part of a new family. That answer became apparent as days past. John, you gave us the opportunity to be ourselves and interact differently with our passengers. It was fun being able to play games at the gate and coming up with our own announcements. Passengers loved it. And it was fun for us. To this day i haven’t worked with a bunch of people like the family we had at JFK. And that’s what we were, a FAMILY. Thank you for allowing me to be part of that Song Family. I would love to relive those days again.